Welcome to Fairfax Police Department
BlankHomeBlankAboutBlankServicesBlankCrimeBlank
spacer
spacer
FormsBlankCareersBlankFAQsBlankContactsBlank
spacer

Fairfax Police Department History
The Fairfax Police Department has its beginnings in the early 1920s, when the community tapped young Andy Peri to serve as its first police constable.





Although the town did not incorporate until the early 1930s, in 1925 the state legislature allowed counties to appoint police chiefs for unincorporated areas - and so 21-year-old Andy Peri became the town's first Chief of Police, serving as the community's lone officer for the first 11 months of his duty.

By the time the town incorporated, the patrol force had grown to include 5 additional officers. The department remained at this size through Chief Peri's tenure, which lasted until 1959.

Over the years, as the community grew from some 2500 in the 1920s to its current size of about 7300 people, the department underwent a corresponding change. From the late 1950s until the early 1970s, the department grew to 11 officers. An additional officer was added in the 1980s, bringing the total to 12. The department's staff is now supplemented through a state grant, which funds one regular Police Officer and the department's Community Service Officer.

Despite these changes, the department is still housed in the original police station. The building was renovated in 1972, when a major remodeling was done for the fire station, and is currently being updated again. "We are really glad that our station is located right in the downtown area, where it is easy for anyone to find," commented Chief of Police Chris Morin. "Although our situation is not unique, it is certainly less common nowadays to find the police station so close to everything else in the community. Moreover, many police stations are not open at all hours, but ours is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The town has really been great in its commitment to keep the station open and available to the public at all times."

While the department continues to conduct business from its original location, the work of the department has evolved over time as the community has changed from a resort town to a more mainstream, family-oriented atmosphere. No longer chasing bootleggers, the department is now involved in county-wide initiatives, participates in regional planning programs, and offers a variety of programs that assist the community by focusing on the special needs that have evolved in our culture. "We want to continue to strive to be a department that is professional, effective, and well trained as we move into the future challenges of our work," said Chief Morin.

spacer
spacer